Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the most common personal injury questions.

1) Does your Wisconsin law firm work for insurance companies? 

No. Our personal injury attorneys only work for injured plaintiffs.

2) Is the first consultation free?

Yes. You will not be charged a fee to call in and talk to our claims manager or one of our attorneys. Additionally, if we believe we can help you with your personal injury concerns, we will schedule an appointment that also will be free of charge. You can then decide whether you would like to hire our firm to protect your rights.

3) Are there any charges or costs to me if we lose the case?

No. Our attorneys' fees are a percentage of the recovery in your case and all costs are reimbursed from the eventual recovery. If there is no recovery, there is no fee and we will not be reimbursed any costs. You are not required to pay our attorneys "by the hour" for meetings, phone calls, etc. We pay for the legal costs up front.

4) What types of cases do you handle?

Our Wisconsin personal injury attorneys protect the rights of people injured in accidents. This includes motor vehicle accidents, including trucking, motorcycle and recreational vehicle accidents; wrongful death; farm accidents, slip or trip and falls; medical malpractice; nursing care negligence and abuse; injuries in the workplace; products liability, asbestos/mesothelioma cases, inuries from surgical mesh, workers compensation, DePuy hip claims and dog bites and attacks.

5) Should I give a statement to the insurance adjuster?

No. You should never give a tape-recorded or written statement without first consulting an experienced personal injury attorney. You are not required to talk to the insurance adjuster of the person who injured you. Insurance adjusters are trained to get you to say things that may not be in your best interest. You need legal advice to help protect yourself and your family.

6) Should I talk to a personal injury attorney before I talk to an insurance company?

Yes, you should talk to an attorney before you talk to the other party's insurance company and even before you talk to your "own" insurance company. The adjuster for the insurance company, even if it is your "own" insurance company, has a goal of limiting payments made by that insurance company. The adjuster is not there to protect your rights, but instead works for the insurance company. You may need a personal injury attorney to represent you. You will not be charged anything to call and speak with our central Wisconsin attorneys or even to set up an initial consultation meeting.

7) How do insurance companies handle my case?

Insurance companies have teams of adjusters and attorneys working to limit your recovery. They have unlimited money to fight your case and usually will do so, especially if you do not have an attorney. You should contact a personal injury attorney that handles only plaintiffs' personal injury law to determine whether you need to retain your own attorney to protect your rights.

8) Do insurance companies use computers rather than humans to evaluate my claim?

Yes, computer programs are used by an increasing majority of insurance companies to evaluate an injury-related insurance claim. Most injured people, and even many attorneys, do not properly understand how to maximize a computer evaluation. Our central Wisconsin law firm staff is experienced in working with this type of computer software claim and can assist you if the other party's insurance company uses this computer program.

9) Will I have to go to court?

Not necessarily. Our law firm is able to settle most claims before a lawsuit is even filed, let alone before an actual trial in court. However, if the insurance company is not willing to make a fair settlement offer, we will file a lawsuit on your behalf and will continue to represent your rights. You are the one who decides if your case goes to court.

10) Why should I work with a local personal injury attorney?

You deserve personal, on-the-spot attention that only an attorney from within your central Wisconsin community can provide. Personal injury cases and investigation require a lot of footwork and personal interviews with witnesses, local authorities and you. Attorneys who do not live and work in your community cannot provide you with the same service and availability when they are operating from a long distance. They generally have very little, if any, contact with their out-of-town clients, and only represent you over the phone or through the mail.

11) What type of attorney should I hire if I've been injured in an accident?

You should hire an experienced personal injury attorney who works to protect the rights of accident victims. The practice of law is very complicated, much like the practice of medicine. While a "general practice" attorney likely has more knowledge about personal injury claims than you do personally, it is important to seek out the advice of an attorney that handles personal injury claims on a routine basis. The practice of law is too vast and complex to competently practice in all areas.

12) What do I do about my vehicle after an accident?

You typically have several options. First, if the other driver has insurance, you can resolve your claim through that company. If you are having trouble reaching the other insurance company, you may wish to have your own insurance company handle your property damage claim. You might be allowed to repair your vehicle or it might be "totaled" and you will receive the fair market value for the vehicle before it was damaged. Examples of such values can be found at and However, you should contact an attorney before resolving your property damage claim if you have been injured. In fact, you should contact an attorney before talking to any insurance company. And you should certainly talk to an attorney before agreeing to give a statement, whether written or recorded, to the insurance company, even if it is your "own" company.

13) What do I do about my medical bills?

The insurance company for the person that injured you will usually not pay your medical bills until your case is settled. You will need an attorney who only handles personal injury cases to help you make sure your bills are properly presented and paid. A combination of health, and sometimes auto insurance, is used in many cases to pay medical expenses before the case is resolved. Payment of medical bills is very important. Who pays and when they pay can be very complicated in accident cases.

14) Why should I hire a "plaintiffs only" personal injury firm such as Bremer & Trollop Law Offices?

We believe it is important to avoid any potential conflicts of interest by never representing defendants and/or insurance companies. You can be assured our central Wisconsin law firm is  dedicated solely to protecting the rights of accident victims.

15) What do I do if the driver that hit me doesn't have insurance?

If you have your own automobile insurance, you should contact us. If you have insurance, you automatically have something called uninsured coverage to protect you in this situation. However, even though your claim will be through your "own" insurance company, you still may need the assistance of an attorney. Your insurance company has an interest in limiting the amount it pays out and protecting its own rights, not yours.

16) What is a "statute of limitations"?

The statute of limitations is a time frame by which you must either settle your claim or file your lawsuit. Different claims have different statutes of limitations. The date is very important because once that date goes by, your right to recovery is forever barred, even if the insurance company never advised you of the date. Some claims also require formal "notices" be served on the other party soon after the accident, such as when the claim involves a government facility, like a city bus. Because the statute of limitations date is so critical to your rights, it is another reason why you should contact an attorney as soon as possible after you are injured.

Have other questions? Email us for a quick answer or visit us at one of our central Wisconsin locations — Antigo, Marshfield, Minocqua, Stevens Point or Wausau.