After an accident — a guide to the steps you should take.
If you’re involved in a car, truck or motorcycle accident, what should you do?
After an accident, you will be faced with medical bills, letters from insurance companies and calls from insurance adjusters. Meanwhile, you’ll have to cope with the demands of work, recovery from injuries, visiting the doctor and collecting the information you need.
Before all that happens, you need to find an advocate who understands the intricacies of personal injury cases and who will protect your rights. To protect yourself, do not speak to an insurance adjuster until you have contacted a personal injury attorney who can inform you of your rights under the law.
After an accident, there are several critical steps you should take with the aid of a personal injury attorney.
- Call the police at the accident scene. Important evidence is lost if you leave the scene without calling the authorities to report the accident.
- File an accident report with the police and collect the names and addresses of eyewitnesses.
- Take photographs of personal injuries and your damaged vehicle or other personal property.
- Visit your physician. Your injuries need to be evaluated by a medical professional as soon as possible following an accident. Even if you have no medical insurance, most emergency rooms and urgent care clinics will see you. If you are without medical insurance, our personal injury attorneys can advise you regarding obtaining medical care.
- Document time missed from work, even if you receive pay for time missed.
- Report the accident to your auto insurance agent.
- Keep all medical and therapy records and bills, and record the mileage you log for these visits.
- Select an auto repair garage of your own choice – not the choice of an insurance company.
- DO NOT sign any documents without the advice of your attorney.
- DO NOT speak to any insurance adjusters or give a recorded statement.
Christine Bremer Muggli and Lance Trollop only represent people injured through the negligence of others. As personal injury attorneys in central Wisconsin, they have the experience and staff to assist you with these steps. And because Bremer & Trollop has law firm offices located throughout the greater Wausau area and central Wisconsin — including Antigo, Marshfield, Minocqua, Stevens Point and Wausau — we can ensure you get the personal attention you deserve. Our attorneys and staff work to ensure the rights and livelihood of you and your family are protected.